Monday, August 19, 2013

Colin's Coming (Writing Prompt)

I'm very excited to show this to you guys.

 This little piece of writing, inspired by the writing prompt "Write about when you cried before the guests arrived", fits into Hitchhiker.  But that's not what's exciting about it.  What's exciting is the fact that it's written from Richard's 20-some-year-old sister's perspective, and it takes place many years before the events of Hitchhiker!  Which means it most certainly will not be in the book.  So, once again, you guys are incredibly lucky.  
I'm thinking about making this a two or three book series, and perhaps the second book will...oops, no spoilers. 
Anyway, by the time Cameron escapes from those villains affectionately known as BGs and Natalie picks him up off the side of the road, Alexis and Colin are already married.  Sorry for the cheesy post name; oh well.

A lead weight formed in my heart as Mom hung up the phone.  I knew what she was going to say and fought the urge to hide.  "Colin's coming."  Normally those two words brought excitement, but today I was pained to hear them.  I liked Colin; he himself wasn't the problem at all.  It was the fact that this would be the first time Mom and I would see him without Richard.
Mom saw the look on my face, understood, and hugged me.  We stood there for a couple minutes, silently sharing in each others' grief, and I don't think I ever loved her as I did at that moment.  Finally she released me from her arms and looked into my dark eyes with compassion.  "I have to start cooking something; he will probably be hungry."  I watched her pull out her recipe box and paw through it. "I haven't cooked for a man in ages," she remarked.  Tears blurred my vision.  Richard used to eat like a horse.  "Do you want me to help?" I asked, desperate for something to distract me.  Mom nodded, smiling, and I realized when I studied that smile that I was not the only one suffering.  Mom's usual perky posture was gone, and the sparkle in her eyes was dimmed.  Seeing her trying to be happy, I wiped my eyes and donned an apron.
We thumbed through all our recipes, making feeble jokes about Colin that neither of us thought was funny but we both felt compelled to laugh at for each others' sake.  When we came across Richard's favorite food, we tried to ignore it, but we both felt lumps in our throats as we remembered the last time we'd shared that meal with him.  It was so long ago - too long.  Before he'd joined the Army.  Before he'd died.  Now I was older than he was when he left.  
Mom seemed to guess my thoughts, because she said, "I know this will be painful.  It is for me, too.  Richard was my son as well as your brother.  But Colin also shares our grief; Richard was his best friend.  He doesn't want to be greeted by sad faces.  He wants to be encouraged.  So we must do our best to help him."  I swallowed and nodded.  Mom was right, as usual.  Standing straighter, I nodded and forced a smile.  "That's my girl."  Mom's eyes brightened.
She finally decided what to cook.  I didn't care what we made; I probably wouldn't be able to eat anyway.  But spending that time with Mom was like a balm to my soul.
Colin arrived at our doorstep just as we were putting dinner in the oven.  I answered his knock.  "Alexis!" He exclaimed, shaking my hand warmly.  I responded in kind, but I couldn't believe the change in him.  He looked older than he had when I'd seen him last.  Granted, that was a few years ago at Richard's funeral, but the stress lines around his eyes couldn't possible have been developed by the passing of time.  "Where's your mother?" he asked.  My jaw nearly dropped to the floor.  Colin had always called her "Mom".
Just then, Mom herself appeared behind me.  "Colin!  Please come in."  He obliged, and we all made ourselves comfortable in Mom's richly furnished living room.  Colin leaned back and studied his surroundings.  "It's good to be here again," he remarked.  "I've missed this place, but I decided to stay away in case I invoked painful memories for you two.  Finally my selfishness overcame my kindness."  He gave us a half-hearted wink, and I felt terrible for how I'd treated his impending visit.  "It's wonderful to have you back," I ventured.  He turned his entrancing green-brown eyes on me.  "Thank you!..so, how are you?"  He didn't end his sentence with the word I knew he was thinking.  "How are you recovering is what he meant to ask.  "We're alright.  How's your family?"  Mom spoke up, and I sighed inwardly.  The formality and stiffness of the conversation made me want to cry for the loss of the easy communication we'd had when Richard was around.
Suddenly Mom jumped up.  "I'm sorry, but I forgot the food in the oven!  Please excuse me!" She hurried out of the room.  I couldn't help laughing, and Colin joined me.  Thank you, Mom, I thought as I felt the tension ease.
We fell into relating what had gone on in our separate lives since we'd seen each other.  We were careful not to mention Richard, even though everything we said or did brought a new memory of him.  Finally Colin growled in frustration.  He got up and sat next to me on the couch.  "I'm sick of avoiding the topic," he whispered.  "I shouldn't have to never speak of my best friend again.  How have you been since Richard died?"  I swallowed.  "It's been very hard on both Mom and me..." I began.  He shook his head.  "No, I want to know about you.  Alex..." The way he said my name made my breath catch in my throat.  He stared into my eyes.  "I love you."  The words were stated like a mere fact, but his eyes betrayed so much more emotion.  I fought tears as I realized I'd been waiting for this moment for years.

Well, that's all!  Sorry for the suspenseful ending.  But let me get you thinking.  Adrian pretended he was in the Army, and when he was captured, it was made to look like he'd died in action.  Richard used to be a fairly respectable young man until he fell in with bad company and stopped visiting his family that often (though they hardly knew anything about his change of heart).  A little later, he joined the army.  And that's where he was proven to be worthy of joining the BGs, who apparently watched all trainees and picked out the skilled ones.

That's all I'm saying.

Lots of love and please tell me how I did,
-Ashley

8 comments:

  1. Wow. That was really amazing!! I almost cried myself at the end!! That's SO cool that you've figured out some of Richard's background. I'm SO excited that you're considering making Hitckhiker into a 2-3 books series! I'd love to read more of Alexis and Colin. As always, I really look forward to your posts. That was seriosly awesome!! Keep it up, Ash! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay then. *takes deep breath* I am known for being very blunt and very honest. As a general rule, people like to be complimented on their work and any criticism hurts their feelings, and everyone around them calls the criticizer a "hater" and the like.
    However. You can't improve without knowing what you're doing wrong.
    That all being said, I'm going to give you an as honest evaluation as I can. I don't intend to hurt your feelings or offend you, but you *did* ask how you did, so here goes:

    1. You are a very good writer, as far as spelling, and putting together sentences, and grammar and all that. Excellently crafted sentences.

    2. Your dialogue is a bit stilted. The mother would not tell the daughter that "Richard was my son as well as your brother." Alexis knows that. The readers know that, so it seems kind of extra to throw out there. It does make it more dramatic, but it's also something that kind of pulled me out of the story and made me think, "Why would she say that?".
    Umm, okay... "But Colin also shares our grief;" That seems a bit too eloquent for her to say.
    Unless I don't know her well enough and she's a very elegant woman. I might change it to something like, "Colin misses him just as much as we do." Maybe try reading the dialogue aloud to yourself? Or have someone read it aloud to you? You know what you meant it to sound like, but your readers don't, so it may sound completely different to them in their heads.

    3. To me, it seems implausible that Colin would suddenly declare his love like that. Unless I read it wrong, they hadn't seen each other in several years? It seems more likely that they would at least have a complete conversation about Richard before he said anything like that, because he would want to know if she had changed since he had last seen her, or since Richard died. Just a thought. The fact that he seemed concerned about her fit right in, but to just say "I love you" was a little startling.

    4. I like her thoughts. And the descriptions. They drew me in, and I didn't have a hard time at all imagining the kitchen, or the living room, etc.

    Anyway. Those are my thoughts and opinions. I'm no expert. If I offended you, or if this isn't the kind of criticism you wanted to get or anything, please feel more than free to delete my comment without offending me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I want criticism!!! That was very helpful. Everything you pointed out I realized later, haha. Thank you. A lot. I need to be told what I need to work on and now I know!

      Delete