Saturday, August 17, 2013

Character Post ~ Richard

Richard's likeness is based on that of actor Richard Armitage.
Don't you hate it when you find yourself feeling sorry for an antagonist?
Yeah, that's how I feel when I write about Richard.

"Sometimes you know your villain is doing really terrible things, but you want him to succeed because he's doing it with such finesse.  You want to see him get his comeuppance but you also want to see him pull it off.  It's a real paradox." -Richard Armitage
 Can I just mention that I love Richard Armitage?  He understands!

Richard is, indeed, named after Richard Armitage.  He also looks like him.  Not only because RA's usual characters and acting style fit him, but also because I had to have someone in my book based on him.  It's a salute, you know, to my favorite actor.

Well, I did not mean to make this a Richard Armitage Appreciation Post.  Moving on:
Richard is a soldier under the bad guys.  (If anyone happens to have any ideas on what to call them, please share.  I seriously haven't a clue of why they are even bad, except that my ongoing explanation is they're developing some sort of weapon that they are planning on using for mass destruction.  Don't laugh; my novel is still in its early stages!)
He usually works with Lucy, a spy/assassin/Black Widow/Natasha Romanov kind of girl.  Except that she's probably not as smart.  Lucy kind of lets her pride overrule her intelligence.  But this post is not about her.
Richard has been working for the BG (bad guys) for so long that he hardly questions anything, going about his dirty work with a mask of indifference and cruelty.  He himself ensured the capture of Cameron and Adrian that fateful day. 
He is strong, skilled, and smart, but years of serving under a demanding leader have dulled his conscience and willfulness, leaving him a most valuable soldier.  

Later in the story, when the BGs again get a hold of Cameron (no, he is not going to be the type of character who always gets caught; it just happens that way.), Richard starts to feel a prick of conscience.  Especially after he realizes the affection Adrian and Cameron have for each other, he starts to ponder things.  And when all three of them + Natalie are trapped in a building that's about to blow up by the leader of the bad guys who is trying to kill them, Richard makes his decision.  
...almost got carried away there.  Better not give out any spoilers.


I'd like to go into a detailed tragedy about his horrible backstory and the terrible life he's led; the decisions made by him and those around him that led him to be the way he is...but I've got nothing on that.  Richard is just bad, unfortunately.  He chose to be evil and cruel.  He chose to lead that life, and later he chooses to renounce it.  Oh, did I say that out loud?  That was a spoiler.  at least you don't know he sacrifices hi---ummmm, never mind.



My humblest and greatest apologies for not posting yesterday, but I was gone nearly half the day.  I do hope you don't stop reading my blog because of all the awful things I've probably done to you with this post.  Mayhap if you give me lots and lots of support, I will eventually finish this darn book and publish it so you can read it.  ;)

Im melleth nir mellon, a goheno nin enni nin ogel(ness),
-Ashley.
P.S. Sorry for the rough translations! I'm no expert in Sindarin and I am grateful for Hisweloke's Sindarin dictionary.  It's just fun to put a few lines in elvish at the end, ya know?
 
 

11 comments:

  1. Haha, I'm sorry, but I burst out laughing when I saw this. "...find yourself feeling sorry for an antagonist?" Ummm, a certain Midgardian comes to mind, hmmm, on the tip of my tongue.... xD

    Btw, that is so cool that you're putting Richard Armitage in your story...well, not Richard RICHARD, but you have a character based on him. That's just awesome. Can we take a moment to just admire the brilliancy of developing a character based on your favorite actor to put in your story? I should do that sometime, once I get a little better at actually developing characters (I do love that word, develop). Your brilliant, Ash. But just hold your red-breasted nuthatches. What did you say? Were you implying that he sacrifices himself??? No. Nope. I choose to ignore that. Ash, don't you do this! You're not Moffat, you are NOT Rick Riordan either. Don't you DARE kill off Richard or I shall cry myself to sleep. Hmmm, I'm sensing a bit of compassion in myself for this character. Nope. Maybe a little? GAH, I feel so sorry for him! GAAH, this is the Loki thing all over again, except it seems Richard will actually straighten out!! Just look at me! I'm a miserable mess--I haven't even read the book--you haven't even finished writing it!--and I'm already attached to all your characters!! Especially, I have to admit, Richard. The poor, poor guy!! *grovels on the floor*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hold your red breasted nuthatches"? I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. And yeah, I love Richard too and I've only written one scene with him in it. And also yes, I thought of you when writing about feeling sorry for bad guys!
      About Richard sacrificing himself....well, maybe you'll be satisfied to know that he may or may not kill the leader of the bad guys and save Cameron, Natalie, and Adrian's life in the process. He also may or may not actually die.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I said that because of you. ;) It is a nice saying now that I think about it. *ponders*

      ASDFJKL!!! I NEED THIS BOOK SO BAD!!! YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!! IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY!!

      WhAt?! He may or may not? Why can't you just tell me that he doesn't die (really though, don't tell me <---shut up, tell me--don't--DO! Ugh.)? You're going to leave me in the dark like that? Good gosh, you're just as bad as the Moff! :P jk

      Delete
    3. Yes, Janey, you will never know until you read the book. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Pout all you want; I've gotta finish this book xD

      Delete
  3. I'm guessing he sacrifices a body part, not himself. That's more along the lines of what I would do. And it's not quite Moffat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not getting anything out of me xD

      Delete
    2. You're right, Trinity. But that last comment of hers, THAT is Moffat. He refuses to let anything slip.

      Delete
    3. Maybe I should be like him and post three words for each book I'm going to make in this series. Like for Sherlock he said stuff like "Wedding. Rat. Bow."

      Delete
  4. You made me almost cry! Now I'm fangirling over Richard and Richard Armitage! Come on...give out the spoilers ;)

    ReplyDelete